Jill Charles, MSN, CNP
American Academy of Facial Esthetics AAFE
Most people are aware of the cosmetic benefits of botulinum toxin, also known as Botox.
But did you know that there are many other indications for Botox? Please read below for a few of the top reasons we use Botox in our esthetic practice.
- The first and most well-known use for Botox is for esthetic purposes. Botulinum toxin is used to relax muscle which inhibits the skin from creasing and forming wrinkles. The most requested treatment areas are forehead lines, between the brows, crow’s feet and radial lip lines. Using advanced Botox placement techniques, we can achieve other goals including an eyebrow lift, lip flip, relaxation of platysmal neck bands, softening of a dimpled chin, improving gummy smile and the downturned corners of the mouth.
- Surprising to many, botulinum toxin can be used for multiple therapeutic purposes as well. Botox is FDA-approved for the treatment of chronic migraines. This is a very safe and effective treatment that dramatically changes the lives of patients who have failed multiple treatments in the past.
- Continuing with therapeutic indications for Botox, temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders are also very responsive to Botox treatment. In relaxing the “chewing” muscles with neurotoxin, there is less teeth grinding and/or clenching which can contribute to chronic pain, headaches and dental issues.
- In addition to TMJ, trigger points/muscle spasms of the head and neck are another major cause of chronic pain and headaches. Botulinum toxin can be used to relax the muscles of the head and neck to relieve spasm and provide tremendous relief for patients.
- The final therapeutic use of Botox that we will discuss today is hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). Botox works by blocking the nerves responsible for activating sweat glands. When we “paralyze” these nerves, we don’t sweat! Botox is FDA-approved for the use of hyperhidrosis in the underarms. It is often used off-label to treat excessive sweating in the hands and feet as well.
Speak with your Healthcare Provider today if you feel any of the above indications apply to you. You may greatly benefit from a treatment with botulinum toxin!
Get trained today with the #1 AAFE Botox, Dermal Filler, and PDO Threadlift Live Patient Training Course. Contact email@example.com call 800 952-0521 today!